Christmas in July #3

I hope you're enjoying a little Christmas in July! If you haven't had a chance to visit the Paper Artists Online forum, please come over and take a look at our little group. We enjoy all types of paper crafting and are quite enthusiastic about sharing our art with each other. There are always a variety of swaps, challenges and round robin projects going on.
This will be my final tutorial, and I decided I needed to share something pretty with you. This is another type of resist technique with stunning results using ink. Scenic stamping was really what got me interested in rubber stamping and this is a very simple scenic type card.

You will need a bright white matte finish cardstock with little to no 'tooth'. I am using Georgia Pacific brand 110# white cardstock. You can find it at Wal-Mart, it very inexpensive and makes a great stamping surface. Find your favorite Christmas tree stamp and Christmas saying. I honestly don't own a single Christmas tree stamp, but am using this stamp from Stampscapes. It has become a personal challenge to myself to use this same stamp in different ways each year for my Christmas cards.

Choose your color of ink, pigment or dye. I am using Distress ink, Tumbled Glass, one of Rangers new colors this year. You will also need silver pigment ink, or clear embossing ink and silver embossing powder.

I didn't get the step out photos for this tutorial, but I think it's fairly easy to see what I've done. I chose to use a Spellbinders Nestabilities cutting plate to create this shape, and a larger size to cut the edge of the card. I think this creates the setting for an elegant piece. This would be equally pretty in just an oval shape, or a rectangular shape using a corner rounder.

I stamped the image using clear embossing ink, changing the height of the tree to create a sense of depth. After the trees were stamped, I embossed with silver embossing powder. Using a cheap sponge, I blended ink around all of the edges and up the trees a little, leaving plenty of white space. When adding ink to the edges, always start just off your paper and blend upward. This way you won't have any noticeable beginning marks. At this point, you will want to gently remove ink from the embossed images, using a rag or baby wipe. The words were stamped with black ink. Finish the card with your own special touch...it's quite lovely don't you think?

Thanks for stopping by...and if I don't get a chance to see you again, may you have a very Merry Christmas!

4 Leave a comment:

Katrina Gelino said...

I love this one..white & blue..so cold and icy...I love it.

Capescrapper said...

Julie, this is very beautiful!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful! And thanks for the tip on the paperr - I love CS paper b/c of the texture but that also makes it less good for stamping.
Rinda

Netty said...

Julie this is gorgeous, such a great idea. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x