Christmas in July #2

The second tutorial for our Christmas in July, is a simple acrylic paint resist technique. Have you ever purchased a stamp that you just didn't know what to do with it? Well, perhaps get it out for this technique. For the purpose of demonstration, and because I love simplicity, I am only using two stamps on the card. You may choose to use several. Experiment and play!


I used these stamps from Inkadinkadoo. The image is so frilly, and the technique is quite rustic, striking a nice balance don't you think?

Choose cardstock, whatever color you would like you image to be, this will be the background paper for this technique. A heavier cardstock is recommended. I chose to use a heavy red cardstock. You'll also need your favorite brand of clear embossing ink, clear embossing powder, stamps of your choice and acrylic paint.

Cut your cardstock to whatever size your card will be. Use the clear embossing ink to stamp your image(s) and then clear emboss. This will act as a resist for the image.

After the embossed area has cooled down, it's time to make a mess. Get out a 1/2" or 1" paint brush and start brushing paint all over the top of the cardstock, and over the stamped image. I chose to brush in one direction, but experiment going in different directions if you like.

IMPORTANT: Let the paint dry naturally. Do not heatset the paint to dry it quicker, or your embossing powder will re-melt and the technique won't work. When I was making these I just set up an assembly line of a few cards and by the time I finished painting the last one, the first one was dry.

Take a rag, or a baby wipe that is damp and gently remove the paint from the embossed image. I don't recommend letting the paint sit overnight, or it may be more difficult to remove.

When I was finished, I distressed the edges with a sharp pair of scissors. Again, I used an old paper bag that was also distressed to mat the image. The distress was highlighted by gently inking around the perimeter of the paper.

Now it's time to finish/embellish this card in your own personal style. This technique is fun to use in a variety of your other projects also.

Here is a second sample of this card. If you do try this technique, I would love to see it. Please leave me a link.

5 Leave a comment:

Cheryl said...

Love this and can't wait to give it a try.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oooh! Great technique. So evocative without too many steps.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful card. Now if I could get off the couch and into my craftroom, I think I have everything I need to do this one. Thanks again!

Hope said...

awesome......i love this technique

Unknown said...

This is very pretty and I may have to try it out.
Thanks