Christmas in July #1

It's a Cyber-Crop weekend at Paper Artists Online. The theme is Christmas in July. I was asked to provide short tutorials for a few Christmas cards, so I thought I might as well post them here also.

We're going to use a Technique Junkie technique called 'Faux Designer Paper' to create these cards.

I chose to use these stamps from Pink Paislee. I purchased them at the end of the season last year and never had a chance to use them. They have a great vintage feel, don't you think?



For the background we're using kraft paper. Your stashed paper bags are the great economizer in this technique.  So get out your paper and some pigment ink with a little sparkle. I'm using Brilliance Ink Pearlescent Beige. Choose a stamp for your background. Randomly stamp this image all over your paper, remembering to turn the stamp in different directions. At this point, we're just laying ink down.

After your background is finished, grab a different color ink(s) and start stamping right over the top of your other images. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can cut your paper to card size prior to stamping. I used Distress Aged Mahogany ink using a variety of stamps from the set. When you're finished stamping, perhaps crinkle the paper a little to give it an aged look.

The Christmas tree was stamped on chipboard, embossed and wrapped with metallic floss. Now assemble your cards using your favorite embellishements. I prefer to not make my Christmas cards too bulky, avoiding a surcharge at the post office.


Hope you've enjoyed the tutorial for the first card. Merry Christmas (in July).

3 Leave a comment:

Katrina Gelino said...

Oh man these are awesome...I love this look. Very organic feel. Can I put this on my christmas list? haha.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Nice use of that stamp set. I have several acrylic sets that could be put to similar use.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

I love this look! Thanks for a great tutorial.