Gardening 101

I've always been a flower gardener, but this is my first attempt at a vegetable garden. After a year of research, I decided to try the 'Square Foot' gardening method. I have two 4x4 boxes and one 4x8 box. The soil is what I like to call 'hybrid', 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 peat moss. Why am I showing you a photo of the dirt? Because my seedlings are starting to poke their heads, and this soil is amazing. I am growing 28 different vegetables in this small amount of space along with a few herbs. I'll be posting a few pictures through the summer and keep you updated on the progress. Do you garden? What methods do you use? Have any special tips for me? Please share.

3 Leave a comment:

Sian said...

Now this is real dedication! Our little patch is about the same size, so i'll be interested to follow your progress through th summer. I'm looking forward to it.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love your shadow in the top picture julie. We have tomatoes growing and maybe a few bush beans.
Rinda

Capescrapper said...

Hey Julie, well now it looks like we have even more in common!! Our love for dirt and flowers and now veggies! I guess my best tip is if you have the extra room in your yard use it to compost. That is if you don't already. I have a nice big compost pile and my wonderful hubby created a sifter for me to make even nicer compost to work with. Such a wonderful feeling to get your hands in the soil. BTW, the gardens look fabulous!! But most of all enjoy it!